Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Jan. 23, 2017

My due date was supposed to be Friday, Jan. 20 and there were no labor signs in sight. So that weekend my mom and I walked over five miles and shopped till we dropped. Sunday evening I had some time able contractions that were consistently 4 min apart for 2 hours but then they suddenly went away. So I went to sleep and at 1 a.m. I was having some dream and a contraction woke me up. It was pretty painful but I thought maybe I was just laying on my stomach weird or something. So I got up to go to the bathroom which has been painful for me the last couple months anyway and hobbled my way to the bathroom. I got back in bed and the pain came back. It was so bad that I couldn't lay down. So I woke up Justin and said I'm having contractions and that they were pretty painful. We started timing them and they were once again 4 min apart. At this point I can't stay still and I'm having to walk back and forth in front of the bed. So I decided to take a shower to see if that helped the pain plus my hair was really dirty, hah! The contractions continued on and I knew this was the real thing. So I get out and start getting ready (drying my hair and putting on a little make up lol) and we decided to call Becky, our doula. She suggested I time them for an hour longer. At this point it had been 45 min or so of consistent contractions that were intense. She told me to try and rest as much as possible but I knew there was no way I could sit still much less lay down and sleep. So then we decided to call the OB's office and there was a midwife on call so she suggested we time them for another hour as well. But then she asked my about my prior c-section. With Isaac I was induced with pitocin, my water was broken a few hours later. I was given an epidural and then I went from 4cm dilated to 10 in about 2 hours. Labored for a few hours and then ended up in a csection. Once I told the midwife all of this she amended her suggestion and told me to go ahead and head up to the hospital. It took us about 20 min to let Becky know to meet us at the hospital instead of our house and get everything in the car. Then it was a 20 min car ride to the hospital which was the worst car ride of my life. Being constricted in the car and unable to move was so painful. And the pressure of sitting down was incredibly uncomfortable. At this point my contractions were 2 min apart. We pulled into the hospital the same time as Becky and we made our way to labor and delivery. At this point the pain is so bad that I've become very vocal (aka yelling and screaming through the contractions). Becky helped me to remember to breath and stay loose. When we got to labor and delivery they didn't even make me check in or fill out paper work. They could tell it was the real deal and took me to triage to wait for the midwife to do a cervical check and confirm. The midwife came into the room and we had to wait for me to finish a contraction before I could lay down for her to check me. Apparently there was a lot of blood down there so she said she didn't even need to check. But then the nurse came in and said they didn't have any rooms available. So she decided to check me and I was 7cm dilated and 100% effaced. The nurse mentioned getting a kit in case they had to deliver the baby right there. At this point I have to jump up (as well as a 9mo preggo girl can in labor) because I have to walk through the contraction. They are trying to ask Justin questions he doesn't know the answer to like if I was GBS pos or neg. and so I'm trying to answer the questions as well. Which was hard!!!! Then a nurse burst into the room saying they had a room and so we started making our way to it. At this point the pain is so bad I'm screaming through the hallways and grabbing at the wall to have something to hold on to. It was pretty wild and barbaric looking I can imagine. We make it to the room and I immediately feel like I have to poop so I try to run to the bathroom to poop in the toilet but it has the plastic thing on it to show it had been sanitized. The midwife told me that if I sit on that toilet I will deliver my baby in the toilet. So I go to the bed and she said I could get on all fours or lay on my side or whatever feels right. I get on all fours facing the back of the bed completely naked at this point. I ended up clutching the head of the bed and on my knees and thats how I delivered! I arrived at the hospital at 3 and had her at 3:44 am! The pain was so intense but it all happened so fast and I am still in awe that I was able to have a successful unmedicated vbac! My water didn't break until the push right before I pushed her out. Gracelyn Ann was 7lbs 2 oz and 20 inches long! She is so petite and dainty and it still feels surreal that she's here! I love her so much and Justin and I have the feeling of completeness that wasn't there before. Isaac is slowly adjusting but he's done pretty well.

For now we are counting our blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment