Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Isaac's birth story

Here I am 7 and 1/2 months later and I realized that I never documented Isaac's birth story. One of the reasons I blog is because I'm scared of forgetting. For that reason I wish I had done this sooner!

At 36 weeks we had an ultrasound to make sure he was in position and to also get an estimate on his size. At that time the Dr was expecting him to be nearly 9 lbs at that appt and close to 11 lbs if I made it to my due date. Everyone told us to just expect to have a C-section. That was a little devastating to hear honestly. I had my heart set on a vaginal birth. I wanted to experience everything. At that point I started to walk more and do things to help him progress down and hopefully start dilating. I drank special tea, walked, bounced, ate pineapple...everything! Fast forward to my 38 week appt where my doctor suggested that we induce the following week so that I would have the best chance to have him vaginally. I knew going in that there was a really high chance of ending up in a C-section but I was hopeful. I was set to be induced on Tuesday. My parents came in from Tyler Monday night and we woke up early Tuesday morning to be there at 5:30. I really wanted to go into labor on my own and feel contractions and water breaking but oh well. I was also really ready to meet him by this point. I got checked into the hospital and dressed in the hospital gown and they finally started me on Pitocin around 6:45. It was fun and easy at first. The contractions I felt weren't painful at all. Justin had fun watching the computer and looking for the contractions on the chart. Eventually they started to become more and more painful and less fun.


I had the best Dr!!
 
 

Around lunch time my Dr came over and checked me and decided to break my water. At that time they recommended I go ahead as ask for my epidural because it could take awhile for anesthesia to get there and my contractions were about to really start hurting. The anesthesiologist came about 10 min later haha. The epidural didn't hurt it just felt really weird. And there was a lot of pressure which I didn't like. It didn't take long for the anesthesia to take effect and eventually my legs were completely dead.

At this point Justin and I have been trying to sleep and watching marathons of shows on HGTV. I'm  pretty sure we watched every episode of Flip or Flop. The Dr stopped by a couple hours later and I was fully dilated! I progressed really fast. It was just Justin, her and I in the room and she just sat at the end of the bed and had me start pushing. It was really weird. The problem was I couldn't feel myself pushing at all. The epidural worked too well. I was to numb to even push. It was frustrating. She eventually had to go back to the office to see patients so a nurse came in and tried to help me push. We just weren't getting anywhere. I was trying so hard but everyone kept trying to motivate me by telling me I would get to eat after I had him and stuff like that. It was kind of ridiculous and made me mad. Obviously I wanted to meet my son. Food wasn't really motivating me to push. Eventually we had the epidural turned off so I could start to feel what I was doing. The Dr. came back soon after we pushed until about 5 pm. I started to get nauseous and like I was going to pass out with every try. In reality I wasn't pushing at all I was just straining. He wasn't progressing much at all and started to get very stressed. Finally, my Dr. said I had one more chance to push and if I couldn't do it then  I had to have a c-section. I gave everything I had and was feeling like a failure at that point. It was really sad for me. But at that point I was just so tired and ready to be done. They wheeled me into the OR and Justin was able to come with me. I was just trying not to throw up at this time. They strapped my arms down like crucifiction style because I could not stop shaking. It was as if I was having a seizure. I had no idea that the anesthesia could do that! Once they made the incision they actually had to pull and tug quite a bit to get him out. All I could hear was my Dr grunting and groaning trying to pull him out and the nurses joking about how she was going to be sore the next day. At 5:25 pm he made his way out and I got to hear his cry. It was so beautiful and I immediately started crying. The nurse wrapped him up and brought him over for me to kiss him. Justin and I hadn't fully decided on a name and wanted to wait until we met him. After we heard his cry Justin just looked at me and said, "Isaac?" It was perfect.
 
Isaac
9lbs 1 oz 21 inches long
 
I only got to see him for a couple seconds then they took him to the side and weighed and measured him. I could see him thankfully and Justin was right there with him. They let Justin walk him back to our room while they stitched me up. It seemed to take forever for them to finish with me and I was so tired. I felt like I was in another world. Its bizarre to lay there awake knowing your guts are open on the other side of the sheet and the nurses and Dr are chit chatting about random stuff. I couldn't stop staring at the clock. It took 20 min for me to get back to the room with Justin and Isaac. Our hospital had a policy about having an hour with just the baby and parents in the room for the first hour after birth called the golden hour. No nurses, doctors or visitors. I was really looking forward to this and wanted to breastfeed as soon as possible. Breastfeeding was so hard. That first hour ended up being kinda miserable because I couldn't get him to latch and he was screaming the entire time. There wasnt a moment he wasn't screaming and I thought he hated me. Looking back I know that was just the hormones and just being overwhelmed and tired from the day. We ended up calling a lactation consultant up to the room to help us. I really wanted to breastfeed  before all of our family came in and they were starting to become really impatient by this time and pestering the nurses about coming in. That was hard for me too. I felt pressure to breastfeed but also let them in. He finally latched and it was a relief when he did! Everyone briefly met him then left because he had to be under a lamp due to jaundice. We also figured out the reason he was screaming the whole time was because he had a dirty diaper! How simple! Its too bad I didn't figure it out sooner! By the time he got changed and had a bath he was a much happier baby. That first night was pretty rough with being woken up by nurses every hour it seemed and we also had to check his blood sugar before I could breastfeed him because he wasn't getting enough nutrition. I'll always remember how great all of the nurses were though! And boy was I excited about eating the next day! I think I went 36 hours without food! I was starving!
 
Even though it was hard it was truly the best day of my life. Every day since then has been the best day of my life and I cant imagine not having him here.
 
Some more pictures from the hospital day:
 








No comments:

Post a Comment