Monday, December 29, 2014

Breastfeeding weaning.

Isaac is a little over 7 months now. My first goal with breastfeeding was to make it to 6 months. Since then I have been playing it by ear as far as how long I want to go. After he reached 6 months I said my next goal would be to make it to 9 months. Its a struggle to think that I will still be trudging along for 2 more months. But I also feel sad about stopping.

When I signed up for breastfeeding in the beginning I had no idea how hard it would be to stop. I'm finding that I'm more emotional about it than I ever imagined I would be. No one really talks about the weaning process. Babies are supposed to be breastfed/formula fed for the first year. The only reason I'm thinking of switching to formula is because I keep getting clogged ducts, milk blisters and honestly out of convenience.

I don't have any issues with formula and I think it is a great choice. I think maybe I'm just nervous about losing our bond. I also feel selfish. If I quit breastfeeding it is because it is my choice. I feel like I'm taking away something that is familiar to him and comforting. And what if he has tummy problems when it comes to choosing a formula?

I've read that when babies are weaned that it can make your hormones a little crazy. Similar to post-partum and can lead to sadness and depression. I already feel sad and guilty over it so if I wean will it make it worse?  If I wait for Isaac to wean on his own will I feel rejected? Ahhh too many questions and things going on in my mind. I know I can't be alone when it comes to feeling like this. Maybe my milk will dry up on its own and I wont have to make a choice. Or maybe I'll end up breastfeeding longer than a year :)

Being a mother is complicated!

No comments:

Post a Comment